By Sarah | Follow | Last Updated June 22, 2021
Google Meet offers great video communication experience, so it’s used by large number of users worldwide. By using it, people can talk together in a meeting no matter where they are in the world. But like other programs, it also has problems. Your mic is muted by your system settings is one of the common errors people receive while using Google Meet.
Google Meet, previously named Google Hangouts Meet, is actually a video conferencing program developed by Google as part of the Google Workspace. With it, people in every corner of the world can participate in the real-time meetings over the internet. Google Meet helps a lot to improve the work efficiency for enterprises, especially large enterprises.
Google Meet Error: Your Mic Is Muted by Your System Settings
A lot of users said they see the error Your mic has been muted by your system settings while using Google Meet in the Google Meet Help Community or other forums.
The specific error message is:
Your mic has been muted by your system settings
Go to your computer’s settings to unmute your mic and adjust its level.
If you also receive this mic muted error, please calm down. You’re not alone. (Why is my mic not working?)
Troubleshoot Mic Is Muted by System Settings
How to check & unmute microphone on Windows & Mac? This part shows you how to unmute microphone whether you’re running a Windows computer or Mac. When the system notifies you that your Google meet microphone is blocked, you should follow the steps mentioned below to solve the problem yourself.
Unmute in Volume Mixer (Windows)
- Go to the right bottom part of your computer screen to find the audio icon.
- Right click on the audio icon and choose Open Volume Mixer.
- Look at the volume controls you can see in the list. There will be a red circle sign with a line on the volume icon under the volume control if it’s muted.
- Just click on the certain icon again to unmute the specific device.
Check the Microphone Properties (Win & Mac)
- Also, right click on the audio icon in the lower left corner.
- Select Sounds from the context menu.
- Shift to the Recording tab at the top.
- Choose the default microphone device and then click on the Properties button at the bottom right.
- Now, navigate to the Levels tab.
- If the volume icon shows your mic is muted, please click on it to unmute microphone.
- Click on the OK button to confirm and close the Properties window.
- Click OK again to close the Sound window.
If the microphone device is not muted, you should move the volume slider to the right to increase the volume and then click OK.
- Click on the Applemenu.
- Select System Preferences.
- Choose Sound.
- Shift to the Input tab.
- Select the correct microphone.
- Drag the volume slider to adjust the input volume level.
Unmute Google Meet (Win & Mac)
- Please look at the bottom of the screen while you’re having a meeting.
- Check the status of the microphone icon. If it’s red with a slash, it means the current meeting is muted.
- Just click on the icon to unmute your audio.
- Also, you can check and change the microphone status in the Google Meet preview pane before you join in any meetings.
How to mute microphone Windows 10 or Mac? You just need to click on the icon again to mute the microphone.
Also, you should go to select the correct microphone from the browser settings to solve mic muted problem.
When you find your OK Google not working on the device, you should follow the methods mentioned in this post to fix the problem at once.
Allow Microphone Access
- Press Windows + I.
- Select Privacy.
- Choose Microphone under App permissions.
- Turn On Allow apps to access your microphone.
- Click Apple menu and select System Preferences.
- Click Security & Privacy.
- Choose Microphone from the left sidebar.
- Check the box before your preferred browsers.
Also, you should open the browser settings on both Windows and Mac to allow microphone access when the Google microphone not working on a webpage.
Other fixes for “your mic is muted by your system settings”.
- Restart computer.
- Update computer system.
- Restart/reset the web browser.
- Run microphone troubleshooter (Windows).
- Release microphone in Terminal (Mac).
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Sarah is working as editor at MiniTool since she was graduated from university, having rich writing experiences. Love to help other people out from computer problems, disk issues, and data loss dilemma and specialize in these things. She said it’s a wonderful thing to see people solving their problems on PC, mobile photos, and other devices; it’s a sense of accomplishment. Sarah likes to make friends in life and she’s a huge music fan.
Learn how to unmute the microphone in Hangouts and Google Meet
The Mute button (a microphone icon with a diagonal line across) on Google Hangouts for iOS and Android has an odd appearance. So when you start a video chat, the microphone appears muted by default due to the slash symbol over it. The fact is that the mic is active and the person on the other end can hear you. Moreover, Hangouts doesn’t display a mute or unmute label on the screen when you enable or disable the microphone.
On the other hand, Hangouts displays a different icon to toggle the microphone and camera in its web interface.
The lack of uniform UI across different platforms can make Hangouts confusing for new users. To clear the confusion, let’s see how you can mute and unmute microphone in a voice or video call on Google Hangouts.
How to mute or unmute a video call in Hangouts
On iOS and Android
To mute a call, tap the microphone button at the bottom left. The mic icon will now turn white, implying that the microphone is off. The receiver now won’t hear your voice until you turn on the mic again.
To unmute a call, tap the mic button while it is turned white. The icon will now appear transparent which means that the microphone is on. The person you are calling will now be able to hear your audio.
Call in Unmute mode (Microphone on)
Note: Tap on the screen once if the control buttons aren’t visible during a video call.
On Hangouts for web (hangouts.google.com)
To mute microphone, tap the mic icon at the bottom of the window. The microphone button will now turn white with a diagonal line across it. This means the microphone is disabled and the receiver can’t hear you.
To unmute the microphone, tap the mic icon while it is white. The icon will now turn transparent, implying that the microphone is enabled. The person on the other side can now hear your voice.
Mute and unmute yourself or other people on Google Meet
Similar to Hangouts, Google Meet is a video conferencing app suitable for businesses. It enables high-quality video meetings wherein a wide group of participants can join together for a virtual meeting.
While you can only mute yourself on Hangouts, Meet lets you mute other people in a meeting as well. This feature comes handy if you’re hearing background noise and random voices from other people’s microphone during a video meeting.
Unlike Hangouts, Google Meet clearly indicates whenever you turn the microphone on or off.
Microphone off notification in Meet
To mute yourself on Meet, tap the microphone icon in the upper half screen. A ‘Microphone off’ message will now appear and the mic icon will turn red with a line across.
To unmute yourself on Meet, tap the microphone icon while it is turned red. You will see a ‘Microphone on’ message. All the participants in the meeting can now hear you unless someone has turned off your microphone.
How to mute a participant’s microphone on Google Meet
- Tap the People tab and select the person you want to mute.
- Now tap the Mute button.
- Tap Mute to confirm and mute the specific person for everyone in the meeting.
NOTE: Due to privacy reasons, you cannot unmute a participant even if you muted them in the first place. You instead have to message the person to unmute their audio.