By Linda | Follow | Last Updated December 01, 2020
What is USB 3.0 card? How to purchase a proper USB 3.0 card and install it? In this post, MiniTool Partition Wizard offers you tips on how to choose the right USB 3.0 card and shows you how to install it step by step.
Quick Navigation :
- Why Do You Need to Upgrade Your Computer to USB 3.0?
- How to Upgrade Your Computer to USB 3.0 via a USB 3.0 Card
- User Comments
Why Do You Need to Upgrade Your Computer to USB 3.0?
As we all know, USB 3.0 port is better than USB 2.0 port in the following aspects:
- Higher transfer speed: The transfer speed of USB 2.0 is 480 Mbps (60 MB/s), while that of USB 3.0 is 5Gbps (500 MB/s). The maximum theoretical speed of USB 3.0 is ten times faster than USB 2.0. If cloning a 120GB SSD over a USB 3.0 connection takes mere 15 minutes, the same clone process over a USB 2.0 connection will take around an hour.
- Better bandwidth management: USB 3.0 devices and connections use two omnidirectional paths instead of the one-way communication available with USB 2.0.
- Better power management: USB 2.0 provides power up to 500 mA, while USB 3.0 caters up to 900 mA. Therefore, USB 3.0 devices can be charged faster, and USB 3.0 ports can support more power-consuming devices.
- Improved bus utilization: This translates to faster at-ready times when new devices are added to the host computer.
What is USB 2.0 and USB 3.0? If you don’t know, this article will show you the definition and the difference between USB 2.0 and 3.0 in various aspects.
However, older computers do not include USB 3.0 ports, and many newer computers do not have enough of these ports. To upgrade your computer to USB 3.0 or get more USB 3.0 port from your computer, you need a USB 3.0 card, which can turn a PCI or a PCIe port into several USB 3.0 ports.
How to Upgrade Your Computer to USB 3.0 via a USB 3.0 Card
If you plan to upgrade your computer to USB 3.0 or want to get more USB 3.0 port, you can refer to the following guide. However, this guide will only cover the upgrade process for desktop computers.
This tutorial will not cover the upgrade process for laptop computers as laptops are difficult to upgrade to USB 3.0. While there are, in fact, USB 3.0 expansion cards for laptops with expansion card slots, those cards perform poorly, consume large amounts of power, and are generally not worth the hassle.
Here is the tutorial on how to get USB 3.0 ports via a USB 3.0 card:
Step 1: Purchase a proper USB 3.0 card. To do that, you should take two items into consideration:
- Interface: You should confirm whether your computer has PCI interface or PCIe interface. This will determine whether you should buy a USB 3.0 PCI card or a USB 3.0 PCIe card. Of course, a USB 3.0 PCIe card is better.
- Power connector: Most USB 3.0 cards have a power connector, because the USB port requires a 5V power supply, while PCI or PCIe does not provide 5V power supply. But there are some USB 3.0 cards without the power connector. This is because these cards are equipped with extra capacitance and inductance, which can reduce the 12V power supply of PCI or PCIe to 5V.
To know whether you should buy a USB 3.0 PCI card or a USB 3.0 PCIe card, I recommend you to read the following post: PCI vs PCIe: What’s the Difference and How to Distinguish Them?
Step 2: Remove the two fixing screws on the side of the main chassis and push out the side cover.
Step 3: Find the PCI or PCIe port on the motherboard.
Step 4: Insert the USB 3.0 card into the PCI or PCIe interface and then fix the screws.
Step 5: Assemble the main chassis and power on your computer. If you are using Windows XP or Windows 7, you may need to download the corresponding driver from the seller’s website and then install the driver. If you are using Windows 8/10, you don’t need to do that.
Some users’ computer run very slow and they asked: what should I upgrade on my pc? This post will tell you how to upgrade computer for maximum performance.
By Stella | Follow | Last Updated March 05, 2021
USB 3.0 drivers are the important elements to guarantee the normal running of the USB ports on your computer. If they are missing, outdated, or corrupt, you need to fix them by installing or updating them. MiniTool Software tells you how to fix USB drivers issues through doing these things in this post. You can read this post to get some useful information.
What Are USB 3.0 and USB 3.0 Drivers on Windows 10?
USB 3.0 is the third major version of the Universal Serial Bus (USB) standard for interfacing computers and electronic devices. It is one of the most popular and useful USB standard due to its fast and universal performance. You can find it on almost all modern devices.
To make sure that the USB 3.0 can work normally, you need to your computer has installed the right USB 3.0 drivers. If the USB 3.0 drivers on Windows 10 are outdated, missing or corrupt, the USB port will not work. In a situation like this, you will need to update or install USB driver Windows 10.
In this post, we will show you how to install or update USB 3.0 drivers on your Windows 10 computer.
USB thinks it’s a CD drive? Can’t access files on that drive? Before formatting the USB to normal, use MiniTool Power Data Recovery to recover its data.
How to Install USB 3.0 Drivers on Windows 10?
If the USB 3.0 drivers are missing or corrupt, you need to install the USB drivers Windows 10 to make everything back to normal.
Here is a step-by-step guide:
1. Search for Device Manager using the Windows search box and select the first search result.
2. Go to the Universal Serial Bus controllers section and unfold it.
3. Right-click on the USB Root Hub (USB 3.0) option and select Uninstall device.
4. Close Device Manager and reboot your computer.
After rebooting, Windows will automatically install the latest version of the USB 3.0 driver.
Are you troubled by USB keeps disconnecting and reconnecting Windows 10 issue? Do you want to solve it immediately? Read this post to get the solutions.
How to Update USB 3.0 Drivers on Windows 10?
Perhaps, you need to update USB drivers Windows 10. You need to follow these steps:
1. Use the same method mentioned above to open Device Manager.
2. Go to Universal Serial Bus controllers > USB Root Hub (USB 3.0).
3. Right-click on USB Root Hub (USB 3.0) and select Update driver.
4. Select Browse my computer for driver software to continue.
5. Select Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer and press Next.
6. Select USB Root Hub (USB 3.0) and press Next.
The updating process will start. When the process ends, you can close the update interface, Device Manager, and then restart your computer.
At times, the USB 3.0 driver issues may not be solved by using the above two methods. If so, you can then modify the USB power settings to fix the USB 3.0 drivers.
How to Modify the USB 3.0 Power Settings on Windows 10?
An improper USB power setting may be conflicted with the USB ports and connected devices. You can follow these steps to change the Windows 10 USB 3.0 power settings:
- Open Device Manager.
- Go to Universal Serial Bus controllers > USB Root Hub (USB 3.0).
- Right-click on USB Root Hub (USB 3.0) and go to Properties.
- Switch to the Power Management section.
- Check Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.
Then, you can go to check whether the USB 3.0 driver issue is solved.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Stella has been working in MiniTool Software as an English Editor for more than 4 years. Her articles mainly cover the fields of data recovery including storage media data recovery and phone data recovery, YouTube videos download, partition management, and video conversions.